Tuesday, February 21, 2012

CA Dreamin' 24 - Gamble House - Inglenook


The Gamble House is the reason we went to Pasadena. As I said earlier, they do not allow anyone to take photographs of the inside. But since I have spent so much time showing you the neighborhood and the outside, it would be cheating you not to have glimpse of the inside. So these are some pictures I found on the web.

The first picture shows the entrance hallway. You can see the Tiffany "Tree of Life" stained glass front doors. In the room to the left is a famous feature of the Gamble House, the large Inglenook--a three-walled fireplace room, a "room within a room.". 



Like the rest of the house, the wall of this room with the Inglenook are paneled in different kinds of woods--teak, maple, oak, cedar, and mahogany.



This picture shows the built-in seating around the fireplace. The famous open-beamed ceiling divider has the familiar "cloud-lift" pattern. This is my favorite Inglenook of all time, and I have sat in in many times in my mind. I've seen it often enough in books, where it leaps off the page at me, but this was truly a thrill actually seeing it. If only our docent had turned his back!


The inlay of this room's custom furniture, also designed by the architects, matches the inlay in the tiles surrounding the fireplace. As you can see, a chair in front of the fire creates a conversation niche with the built-in bench.


A few chairs completes the warm circle.


No comments:

Post a Comment